At VicReturn we are motivated to help keep beverage containers out of landfill, creating clean streams of recycled materials that help to build our Circular Economy by promoting product stewardship of all First Suppliers in Victoria.
As the appointed Scheme Coordinator for Victoria’s Container Deposit Scheme (CDS Vic), we work with government and our partners to build and operate a large-scale container recycling network, a key step in transforming Victoria’s waste and recycling system. Through a 10c refund for every eligible container returned, we encourage Victorians to collect and recycle their containers, making a positive difference to our people, environment and local industry.
Our objectives are:
- Increase recovery and recycling of empty beverage containers
- Reduce the number of empty beverage containers that are disposed of as litter or landfill
- Ensure that first suppliers of beverage products take product stewardship responsibility
- Provide opportunities for social enterprise and benefits for community organisations
- Create opportunities for employment
- Complement existing collection and recycling activities for recyclable waste
CDS Vic targets beverage containers that are commonly littered. The types of beverage containers include plastic and glass bottles, paper-board cartons, and steel and aluminium cans between 150 millilitres and three litres.
Examples of beverage containers that can be recycled through CDS Vic are:
- Soft drink cans and bottles
- Bottled waters, both plastic and glass
- Small, flavoured milk drinks
- Beer and cider cans and bottles
- Sports drinks and spirit-based mixed drinks